October 23, 2015
New Implementation Dates for URS
In addition to the large changes that will be taking place with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Unified Registration System (URS), there will be the implementation of USDOT Numbers. Where docket numbers were once used (MC, MX, FF), USDOT Numbers will now be the unique identifier for motor carriers, brokers and freight forwarders. Beginning on December 12, 2015, all new applicants will be required to use the new online application when registering and requesting a USDOT number.
To Find Your USDOT number for Existing Company
- Access www.safersys.org
- Scroll down and click "Company Snapshot"
- Enter information in search field
- Look for USDOT# box
New implementation dates were released by the FMCSA on October 21, 2015 that outline the new phase deadlines. Here are the effective dates:
- Beginning December 12, 2015, new applicants will be required to use the new online application when requesting registration and a USDOT number.
- On September 30, 2016 all new and existing entities must process new applications and updates to existing records using the new online system. FMCSA will not accept paper forms or faxes.
- On December 31, 2016, the requirement for all private and exempt carriers to have insurance and BOC-3 filings in place will take effect. New applicants will begin providing this information September 30, 2016.
For more information on the regulation click here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FMCSA-1997-2349-0178